Thursday, January 17, 2013

Two children, two adults

My son and I get along beautifully. Last week, he spent an entire day telling me he loved me over and over.  Can mothers ever hear those words enough?   Surprising, really, that we get on so well.  Toddlers are impulsive, throw tantrums, and cry a lot.

We have an interesting dynamic because we are both children at heart.  I understand his impulsiveness.  Yesterday, while walking alone I passed a row of cars with icicles dangling from the front grill and bumpers.  My first thought (accompanied by a huge grin) was to knock them off with my snow boots.  Pow. Blow. Karate Kick, Wow! Not to be destructive or mean, but out of sheer delight.  Of course, being the civilized adult that I am I did not.  It was only out of empathy though that I observed restraint.  Empathy and discipline are the top of my teaching tough list.


I'm not a fan of tantrums or crying (unless he is in pain).  I abhor them and do not tolerate them.  Maybe I have different expectations than some parents?  Maybe it is because he is an only child?  Or maybe it is because we do treat him like an adult?  Who knows?  I know we are strict as parents, but it makes life easier.  Colt drinks out of glasses, no straw, no sippys. He behaves in nice restaurants (9 times out of 10).  He shakes hands and is impressively polite. No more strollers, he walks.  I love him for acting like an adult.  Am I cheating him out of a childhood?  No.  I am teaching him appropriate behavior in appropriate settings. Real life.  Playground, his room, at school (heehee) Go crazy! Living room, stores and restaurants are for whispering like a mouse and moving like a lemming.

Here is the perfect anecdote to describe how we are two adults and two children. Lately, we have been playing this game (his idea, not mine).  On the tram, he said, "I'll be the mom and you be the baby."  Hmmm, ok. :)

Colt:  Hold my hand.
Me: Ok, mom. Thanks, that is a nice warm hand (we grin at each other).  Oh, and as soon as we get off tram I am going to cry the entire way home and you can drag me.
Colt: blank stare and the beginning of a Charlie Brown frown. 
Me:  HAHAHA

We have been playing this game a lot and I do think it helps him understand a mother's point of view (empathy).  Fast forward to yesterday, we met a new mom at school. 
Eva to Colt:  What's your name.
Colt: My name is ColT.  And this is my baby (he points to me)! 

ROFL.  The look on her face was identical to the father's face when Colt said the sheep all left in a rocket.  Indescribable. I love my son!


No comments:

Post a Comment