Sunday, January 20, 2013

a wise man named Jim

It was less than 4 months ago, I was standing in my backyard with an elder from our neighborhood. To paraphrase his wisdom, he gently said the following: You need to slow down.  You aren't taking the time to celebrate life, to enjoy it. Instantly I acknowledged his words were true, but with a huff of exasperation I asked, "how in the world am I supposed to do that in the middle of an international move with a two year old?"
Take a deep breath.
Look around you.
Listen to your son laughing.
Enjoy the sunset.
It's the little things in life.
His expression was convincing and unmoved by the move and the two year old. I've always envied people like him where nothing in life is too big of a deal.

Those true and brilliant words are the very reason I went searching for yoga. Slowing the pace of my life is a difficult task for me though as I am cursed with unending energy.  I try to remember his words every day.  It is only today that I realized that I don't need to slow down only for me.  I need to slow down for my family. My entire family is happier when I take time to relax, to actually sit down at some point in the day.  It's easier to wage a war on your own personality when you have an excellent reason.

My son has told me, "I sure do love you.  I love you so much." about twelve times in the last five minutes.  Time for a cuddle. Time to slow down. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment