Wednesday, November 7, 2012

10,000 Nudists

I asked the following question last night on FB:  Do I need a bathing suit to go to Kurhessen Thermals?  They are salt water pools here with varying temperatures of heat.  They are quite an attraction because a salesman in Frankfurt told me he drives up on Sundays just for the baths.  I asked the question because I have been dying to go since Fabio mentioned it and my swimsuits haven't arrived.  So, surprise!  This American was hoping for a No Swimsuit Required answer, after all this IS Europe.  Unfortunately, the answer was swimsuits in the pools and naked for the saunas and steam room.  No problem, I can easily wait one more month for my old lady swimsuits.

The question reminded me of my recent visit to 10,000 Waves.  In my humble opinion, the greatest Spa in the US.  Knowing it was only a matter of time before we left the US for good, I decided to go to 10,000 Waves last May for Mother's Day.  Not wanting to spend too much on indulging myself, I waited until the last minute to make my decision and by last minute I mean I called when we were already en route to Albuquerque.

Here is my conversation with the friendly Scott who booked my spa which includes communal hot baths:
Me:  Do I need a swimsuit?  Because I don't have one with me....
Scott:  Absolutely not!  We tell people to wear one if they are uncomfortable, but you will be in the minority. Most people choose to be nude.
Me:  Perfect, I didn't have one anyway.
Later on the highway to Justin:  I'm not sure how feel about Co-ed communal nudity.  I mean, at midnight after a few drinks cool.  At 9:00 in the morning sober???  I'm not so sure......

Later after a couple days in Albuquerque and a couple drinks, I repeat my concerns to Justin and his guy friends.  I'm not sure how feel about Co-ed communal nudity. I mean, at midnight after a few drinks cool. At 9:00 in the morning sober??? I'm not so sure...... Their advise: Just go with it, who cares?  I wouldn't know anyone any way. Cool.

I arrive at 10,000 Waves and check in.  It is breathtaking as it sits next to Santa Fe National Forest and easy to feel at ease there.  The nice lady checks me in and explains the day, shows me around.  The bath with my package is all day access to the WOMEN'S Baths!  AHHH, deep sigh of relief.  All my anxiety about saggy man parts disappears magically into the trees.  Whew!

Locker rooms and straight to the baths to enjoy every minute of my day away.  I hang my robe in the cute cedar sauna hut and nakedly parade through double doors into the thermal baths.  Surprise. Drum roll.... EVERY single women has on a swimsuit.  I am standing their naked, brows furrowed...not one nipple in sight ( Well, other than the two I'm openly sporting). Ughhh, there is even a look of surprise on their faces.  HAHAHA  Oh well, about 20 minutes later someone else showed who must have talked to Scott (the Liar), but by then I could have cared less. 

It made for a great story and who doesn't love a good story?  The look on their faces still makes me laugh...

No pictures with this post, sorry!  LOL








No comments:

Post a Comment