Wednesday, November 21, 2012

What's that funky smell?

Yesterday, I was telling a friend how hard it was living here and not speaking German.  Everyone has had a couple years of grade school English and no one wants to use it.  If I am on the tram long enough, I am reminded of the bravery in humanity because someone will finally try a few words.   I know how hard it is to put yourself out there and be vulnerable to strangers and mistakes.  Today after about 6 stops, a 78 year old man starting speaking in English to Colt regarding a toy catalog.  Every stop, he remembered more words.  It was awesome.  He was beaming and so were we, so much so that we waved to him as he pulled away.

Anyway, the conversation about the difficulty reminded me of  the times I am grateful that English here is limited. If you have ever parented a toddler, then you know how they can say embarrassing things in public.  I'm saved from the embarrassment.

For example, my son has busted out TWICE on the tram with "I'm sexy and I know it.  Girl, look at that body." He always make me laugh and that encourages him to sing louder and shake his shoulders a little more.
The first time it was practically empty, but the second time it was packed.  The girl next to me looked at me funny and put in ear buds.  LOL  I still can't stop giggling about it.  It is his famous skype performance. lol

Another example happened yesterday, one stinky vagrant got on at each tram stop all the way downtown.  The 20 minute ride totalled 5 stinky men with body odor and booze stench abundant. It was like they planned it. They all knew each other.  One of them even had two ferrets tucked in his coat.  Ughhh, the undeniable down side to public transport.  Just as I was thinking we needed a car, Colt busts out with, "What's that smell?"  "It smells like stinky poo! Mom, mom, what is that?"  The whole time he is sniffing loudly.  Now, I am sure people figured out what Colt was playing at, but I am glad I wasn't forced to apologize or converse about it.  hahaha  Being the foreigner does have a few advantages.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment