Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Our Three Rules

When we were in Belgium, Colt was struggling and being a stinker.  In response, Justin gave Colt three rules. He repeated all three anytime he was being naughty.

Be happy.
Listen to what mom and dad say.
Don't talk back.

Before the trip ended, Colt had these memorized.  After about a month, he thought he was being cute and put his own twist on them.

Be happy.
Listen to what Colt and dad say (huge grin from him with an eyebrow lift to see if I got it, lol).
Don't talk back.


Two months later, our family has adopted these rules as...IDK...our family code???  We remind each other of these rules when someone needs to hear them.  Colt to me.  Me to Colt. I have to constantly remind myself of these all the time, but three is an easy number, right?

Now they read like this:

Be happy.
Listen to each other.
Don't you sass me, boy.  HAHAHA  No seriously, respect each other.

The other day I was crying while I watched him play.  Colt leaned in, "Oh no, mom.  Oh, mom. Oh no, what's wrong mom? Mom. Just be happy, that's all you have to do.  Just be happy."  So sweet.  I gently explained, oh I am happy.  I know it's a little hard to understand, but I'm crying because you make me happy.


No comments:

Post a Comment