Friday, October 12, 2012

Chocolate covered espresso treats

Yesterday was a beautiful day of sunshine for Kassel so we decided to skip Colt's afternoon nap and take a lazy river cruise down the Fulda River.  Although I translated the website page by page, I couldn't figure out if we needed tickets prior or could just pay on board.  A few of the details escaped me.  Willing to be flexible though and change plans if necessary, we set out to the river.  We happened upon an event or party.  Either way, all of the people at the boat dock knew each other and spoke German.  No problem,  the captain said not to worry and took our euros.  The views were amazing and well worth cheating Colt's nap. The boat was meant to turn at a halfway mark and return to Kassel.  It is obvious we are nearing the halfway mark and suddenly the boat docks.  AND EVERYONE EXITS!  Justin and I look at each other and then with butterflies in our tummies we wait.  No one comes over to tell us to disembark.  I'm not sure if this makes me feel better or more anxious, lol.

We enjoyed the rest of our return trip uneventfully and drink more bier. 

Starving and very tired we search for a restaurant near the boat docks. We find a charming Italian place.  The food and service were excellent.  Knowing the baby was tired, the waiter brings tiny chocolates individually wrapped and says, "treats for the baby".  Bribing Colt to finish his pizza, we give him three "treats." Then, I eat one.  Horrified, I look at Justin and say, "I'm not 100 percent sure, but I'm pretty sure they are chocolate covered coffee beans."  We stare open-mouthed at each other.  Then, I start laughing.  Really laughing.  As in, I can't stop laughing!  We tap the waiter on the arm and inquire.  "Oh no," he says, "chocolate covered ESPRESSO beans."

The baby was no longer tired. :)



4 comments: