Saturday, October 20, 2012

Tortilla Pies...you know just like frito pies, but with tortillas :)

Traditions and customs are different all over the world.  A show of good manners from Texas could be insulting to someone in a new country.  When in doubt, tread lightly and ask as many questions as possible.  Oh,  and smile graciously :)

So, we invited our first house guests this Thursday evening.   I found everyone was looking around to see what each of us would do and everyone was careful with their words and manners.  It sounds stuffy, but it wasn't!  I took it as a great sign of respect from everyone.  It was a very pleasant, relaxing evening and the conversation was brilliant.

Both people showed up with chocolates.  Mental note to self, at house parties in Germany bring chocolate.  Not surprising, chocolates in Germany are phenomenal.  I haven't tried one yet that didn't make me close my eyes and moan. ;)  Pia (our realtor/translator/ and hopefully my future shopping friend and girl trip companion) did mention she wanted to bring flowers, but waited to late.  Living in Germany is improving my ability to listen on so many levels!  Noted chocolate and/or flowers.

I made a huge pot of chili and was prepared to serve it a couple ways.  I had wine and beer for the adults and tortilla chips and bread to go with chili.  I offer to get a drink for Hemingway.  He thinks. "I think for chili, wine would better, no?"  "Usually, yes, but this chili has about 8 ounces of Martini Winterbreu in it so that it will pairly beautifully with beer, also,"  I respond.  Huge grins all around, a few eyebrows lift, and he says with a sigh, "beer, then."  Noted, people here also pair their food with their drinks.  I didn't offer cocktails prior to dinner because we had none.  No one mentioned it though and so I think it was cool.

The conversation went from films in every language to composers.  Never being at a loss for words and laughter make me able to relax even with people we are just beginning to know.  It was great fun.  Hemingway was keen to talk about the presidential debates and Justin and I were quick to change the topic.  haha  I did tell Toni that he is quite famous I had been blogging about how I think he is like Hemingway.  LONG PAUSE.  I suddenly get nervous, "do you know Hemingway?"  Hemmy, "I've read them all.  I think there is one major difference.  I am not a womanizer like he was."  Laughs all around.  "It was that Finnish woman I married."  hahaha  Perfect response for a perfect evening.

"I love to cook for people.  Next time, I will make Beef Bourguignon," I say.  "Not to be stereotypical, or draw conclusions," Hem says, "but that is the last thing I would expect you to make."
Justin quickly, "oh, my wife has always been European at heart."  I give a coquettish grin, "I have always thought I was French .....Royalty in a past life.  Pia grins the same grin, "Oh, me, too!"  We instantly bond.  The men just shake their heads. LOL

I bought dessert which I wouldn't normally do but....I don't have any of my recipes, measuring cups, etc AND why bake a dessert with two bakeries on my corner.  I bought something that looked divine and should have stuffed with real flowers.  It was a German Tree Cake. Everyone seems fine with me buying dessert, whew.  When I asked if I should make coffee, Hemingway responded, "at this time of night?"  My thoughts exactly.  Noted.

Enough with the boring details of my dinner.  When I went to wash the dishes, I found the chili pot looked like it had been licked clean.  Totally empty.  SCORE!

I can't wait until my next party - MEXICAN.  It will be much easier with the few subtle lessons I learned this time around.  I will wait until our container arrives so that I can send everyone home with sombreros! OLE!







No comments:

Post a Comment