Sunday, October 14, 2012

The Rules of Engagement

85% of communication is non-verbal. This is great news for three people who don't speak German in Kassel. A first impression is created in 9 seconds.  More good news. 

Elderly people here amaze me.  They take the stairs even when there is an elevator.  They are active and continue to walk great distances even with walkers and groceries.  Hoisting themselves and their walkers onto the tram full of people, they go on about their lives as if they were 30, not 80.  It's impressive.

The other day an older lady fell on the sidewalk.  We rushed over.  Nice people world-wide do and say the exact same things, so language is irrelevant.  It never occurred to any of us that we spoke different languages. The scenario MAY have been like this, lol. 


English Us running over (look of shock): Oh, my god.  Are you ok?
German Lady holding up her hands:  I think so, I don't seem to be bleeding. (My best guess)
Me (stroking her hair and helping her up): Are you sure you are OK? Did you hit your head?
Her (touching the side of her face): No, I think I'm ok.  (points down to the uneven step) I think I fell on that.  (grimace, hint of smile)
Me:  I know.  It's ok as long as you are ok.  (smiling and patting her arm)
Her:  Danke Shoen
Me:  Bitte Shoen (Finally words I know!)

It's like this. People are people.  The same events happen all over the world to everyone. 

People are heartbroken, babies are born, accidents happen and people get married. Words aren't nearly as important as:
a warm, sincere smile
a helping hand
a hug
etc





No comments:

Post a Comment