Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Quarters in My Coffee Cup

Status can be defined by so many different things depending on where you are in the world. In one country, it could be owning a pair of shoes and in another it could mean owning your own jet. Status isn't something that's important to me. As a matter of fact, when I see people dressed a little too well, I usually just assume they overspend and have maxed out credit cards.  As most of you know, I'm very old-fashioned when it comes to money.

Don't get me wrong.  I love furs, handbags, and diamonds just like any other girl.  I like these things because of the way they make me feel (warm and snugly and all happy inside), not because what complete strangers on the street think of me.  And, you can take it to the bank (pun intended), if you see me in something designer, it will be paid for in full and have very tiny, visible labels (if any).

Status in Kassel is defined by your coat (and your car). Because of the cold, every one is in a coat all the time.  Most people don't even bother to take them off in stores and restaurants.  People can't see the label on your jeans.  No one pays attention to bags because you are usually carrying more than one for groceries and such.  It is all about the coat.  I learned this the hard way.  I was meeting a friend to go walking, for exercise.  I didn't want to get my nice coats sweaty so I wore one of Justin's fleece jackets that had been a freebie from Oxy.  I wish I could explain how everyone looked at me.  Pity is the word that comes to mind. I swear to you if I had sat down for a break on the curb they would have put quarters in my coffee cup.  HAHA  Seriously, people looked at me so sadly.  Under my coat, I had on very apparent workout clothes: Lucy yoga pants, a cute tank and nice, neon sneakers.  At the time, I didn't understand.  I wondered about the looks, but didn't get it.  It wasn't until last week on tram that I saw an older lady with the same look of pity looking at a homeless guy in an oversized raggedy jacket. Ohhhhh, people thought I was homeless.  wow

Will I wear this coat, again?  The girl who doesn't care anything about status.  Yes, absolutely.  I wouldn't want my new Armani with mink cuffs to get sweaty. ;)





No comments:

Post a Comment